Wednesday 13 January 2016

How to write a good blog post (old version)

Please note that there is an updated version of this blog post at

- - -

We are not the first people wondering what makes a good blog post. I tried to sum up here the things I've learned through the years.

Quality is more important than quantity

To begin with, you might ask yourself what type of blog post you would rather read. People tend to read things that are worth their time. We want useful, moving, noteworthy, unique, relevant, inspiring and well thought out content. We want to read or view things that help us to improve some aspect of our lives.

Shorter posts are also best for generating discussion but need to be at least 250 words long to be searched by the search engines. Gunnel claims that 400-600 words long is a good length. The reason I'm referring to him is that his thoughts line up well with ours, your activity posts should be around that length too. If you choose to embed them (presentation or videos) the length requirement is 2-3 minutes.

Remember to acknowledge your sources

Bear in mind the people who are the subject of your discussion as well as the intended audience. These posts are about you, but you might be referring to people close to you. Remember to ask their permission.

This is your chance to create some meaningful content on the internet. When you keep your readers in mind, you should help them to see which parts are your own ideas and which are someone else's. Also help them to find more information about your sources by acknowledging them accordingly.

Make you posts scannable

Since we scan through the content, editing is essential. By we I mean us humans, but Search Engine bots are scanning through your content too. And they have been taught to respect the same things as we humans do. If you are not yet familiar how search engines work, I would suggest you read this article by Google. After that, you might for example realise how important proper linking is.

Goins suggests that sticking to a topic, and having clear titles and subheadings should help too. Writing an easily scannable article means you write for your readers, not just for yourself. Also bear in mind the possibility that your readers might be using mobile devices or screen reading software.

Be academic enough

Goins thinks that bloggers should write as they speak. In his opinion, blogging is about community, and therefore, different from a doctoral thesis or a newspaper article. I do agree that there needs to be a conversational flow to your content, but I want to remind you that these blog posts will be part of your Level 8 assessments.

As you might have noticed I haven't been sticking to APA referencing in detail, but my referencing is clear enough, isn't it? And yes, I have three sources in this post. Maybe a few more wouldn't hurt. But coming back to where I began - focus on quality and, most importantly, enjoy sharing your own learning journey with the world.

If you choose so, you can also add the references to the end: 

References

Goins, J.(2015). How to Write Scannable Content for Your Blog. Retrieved from http://goinswriter.com/write-scannable-content/

Gunnel's, S. (2015). The Secrets of Blog Post Length. About.com Tech. Retrieved from http://weblogs.about.com/od/writingablog/qt/The-Secrets-Of-Blog-Post-Length.htm

Support.google.com. (2016). How Google Search Works - Search Console Help. Retrieved from https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/70897?hl=en

UPDATE 6/5/2016: Naturally we learn and make mistakes, we are humans. Instead of editing our old posts, we should comment them or make new ones. If you do make changes to your post, a good practice is to have a change log (like this) at the end of the post. Keep in mind that you most definitely shouldn't edit your posts as a response to comments - instead you should add your own counter-comments. That is the essence of blogging!

13 comments:

  1. Thanks Milla, after some 'blogging tips' research of my own it is nice to come back to your clear and succinct post. 'Practicing what you preach' is evident here :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more tip - try not to edit your post after you've published it. Some of your readers have already read it (they might have received an email notification when you published it), and they might have even commented it, and editing wouldn't be fair towards them. Sometimes it's the comments that become the essence of your post. Therefore, you should leave your original provocations be as they were, even if you wouldn't agree with them anymore. One example of a famous comment is Kathy Sierra's one about gamification - and we can follow that discussion since Larry Ferlazzo hasn't edited his original post.
    http://larryferlazzo.edublogs.org/2012/02/26/kathy-sierra-on-gamification-in-education/. By counter-commenting your own blog post you can show openly what you've learned since you've published it. There is a reason for the publishing date to be there. We, as teachers, should know it is ok to learn? So don't try to hide your learning journey. I personally consider blogging as a beautiful form of practicing life long learning, embracing vulnerability and putting yourself out there. Remember to enjoy your reflective learning journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Considering this comment I made on my first blog post -

    " I've generally been reluctant to share my thoughts in public forums - shall I be condemned or otherwise for my views and opinions lol ... once things are said, difficult to be unsaid. And I have also found in my own life experiences that no sooner do I feel confident in the knowledge that I hold, then I receive further information that places another perspective on things ... ahhh such is the conflict and challenges with knowledge formation"

    - I think this tip and reasoning for it is appropriate to the fears and reluctance I have with blogging, so thank you. It makes me less hesitant to put my blog posts 'out there' :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb for the comment and feedback! Looks like the 'vulnerability TED superstar' Brené Brown is on right track, the courage to be imperfect is the key!:)

      Delete
    2. Deb I really get where you are coming from here. I agree that almost as soon as i feel confident in my opinion or that i have a point of view worth voicing i discover something someone else says and i immediately doubt the validity of my ideas and opinions again. So putting myself out there is going to be a challenge! Go gently please...

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your tips and honesty. Little steps forward into the social media platform with the path never unseen. It seems responsibility for who a person is and what they think will given a stain to words said, good bad or just knowledgeable. My biggest fear is spelling mistakes and grammar errors yst these little pebbles are just a deterrent until I gain more momentum hopefully. Less is more. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Less is more indeed, and as they say in Google "If you're not failing enough, you're not trying hard enough…”. So thank you Kirsten for showcasing what having the courage to be a life long learner looks like! :)

      Delete
  5. This post was really helpful for me because I really wanted to change my first blog post. Now I realise that it is far more beneficial for me to comment on new things I have learnt since my initial post. I have even had someone comment on the update I included in the post. It definitely helped me to realise that this is an ongoing site which does not need to be perfect. It's the learning along the way that assists with my personal development as a blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natasha! Thank you for showcasing how to be a true life long learner. Looks like you have grasped the idea, power and beauty of blogging really quickly!

      Delete
  6. I have found this helpful too, mostly because I tend to want to make my posts "perfect" and "complete" rather than seeing them as part of a thinking process. I guess that says something about myself as a learner - a lack of risk taking, I suspect!!! I hadn't thought before that this is a bit like speaking aloud our initial thoughts as part of a discussion and how that can help to formulate deeper, more succinct, cohesive thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kerry! It is interesting isn't it! Even just that comment of yours made me think so much more than any "perfect" or "complete" essay probably would have.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing the information. I found the information very useful. That’s an awesome story you posted. I will come back to scan some more.

    ReplyDelete