Monday 9 April 2018

How to get comments on your blog post (old version)

Please note that there is an updated version of this blog post at https://howshouldiblog.blogspot.com/2020/11/getting-comments-on-your-blog-posts.html

- - -

Once you start blogging you might realise quite quickly that even if the analytics show that you’ve had many visitors on your pages, they haven’t left you any comments. Is it because our online life is just getting too busy? Do we just scan and through and cannot afford the time to stop, think and comment? Or has it actually been the way we have behaved as long as the internet has existed

Of course, my heading already gave away the fact that I think there are ways you can get more comments on your blog posts, regardless of whether it is one about your passion towards puppets, how to cook the perfect egg or reflections on your professional practice. Making the headings match the content is a good start! These are my 5 suggestions and I’d be delighted for you to post your comments if you agree or want to share some other good tips.

Tip 1: Write in a manner that provokes discussion


You might have realised what I did just there, at the end of the previous section. I provoked you to comment. When blogging, keep in mind that even if your posts are self-reflective, you are writing for other people. Those scannability tips that I wrote about in How to Write a Good Blog post are a good place to start. 

You could also consider if you are assuming that discussion will just magically appear in the comment section. Maybe you should check if your blog post leaves any room for discussion? One good strategy could be to keep in mind all those tricks on how you lead and provoke a good and ambiguous learning discussion in your class or staffroom. Creating it online does not differ that much, or does it?

Tip 2: Check that the commenting feature is on to begin with


Make sure that leaving a comment is possible for your readers. There are many bloggers arguing against calling your page a blog, unless comments are enabled. As well as making sure that the comments are enabled, there are features for the writer of the blog to approve comments that are made before they appear. Keep in mind that having a comment approval feature on for no reason might just slow it down. Aim to keep it as simple and easy as possible for readers to make comments. If it helps, you can always turn comment approval back on if needed.

Tip 3: Respond to comments on your own blog posts


One good way of generating comments is to be consistent in answering them. As suggested at the end of my earlier post, it is crucial not to edit your blog posts after you’ve published them. By welcoming even divergent opinions and responding to all of the comments you get, while not touching your original post, you showcase to the world how to be a true life long learner. 

Tip 4: Learn to share and advertise your content


Once your new blog post is published you need to find that inner advertiser queen within. The one that believes in her message and adds provocative summaries and discussion starters in when sharing the links to her posts with her online whānau. 

It might even be a good idea to find those people who are ready to scratch your back if you scratch theirs. You need to share and create links to your content, especially if your goal is to get a high page rank and a wide audience in Google. You might also want to refresh your knowledge on how Google crawls through websites via links. And if you get more curious about that, sharing the simple wonder of how Google actually works with your students might create an interesting learning inquiry topic. 

Tip 5: Be the change you want to see in others


Remember to be the Mahatma Gandhi of the blogging world, by making sure that when you visit an interesting blog written by someone else, you also read through the comments and leave a new comment that feeds forward. Maybe even include a link to your own blog to get them to reciprocate? 

By having a quick glance in the mirror, you might remember to acknowledge that commenting with your own name is just as vulnerable an act as writing a blog post in the first place. Remember to cherish those courageous acts both ways. Respecting and sharing our life long learning journeys make them so much more meaningful.

I hope you found this post useful. I must admit I am truly excited to see how many comments I’ll get. What other tips do you have for how to get comments on your blog post? 

23 comments:

  1. As Milla says, you should not make changes to your blog post after you have published it. However as she points out in this post: http://howshouldiblog.blogspot.co.nz/2016/01/how-to-write-good-blog-post.html you can add additional comments at the end. It's Ok to correct factual errors in your posts (e.g.a broken link or incorrect citation date) where not correcting them might mislead your readers, but again you should add a note at the end that this correction has been made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave for that first and helpful comment!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the tips Milla. It was exciting when I got a response to my blog. It made me realise that there is support out there far beyond my colleagues at school. That there is an opportunity to engage in professional conversations and find people with similar interests as your own. I would love to provoke discussion around why/how after all these years technology in the NZC continues to be a tick box, taster course mostly with a skills focus for many. Taster courses cannot offer the support students need to become successful practitioners into a senior technology pathway. I think the technology curriculum provides the parameters for engaging in 21C teaching and learning. We have just not been brave enough to allow this to happen. How do I find people who might be interested in blogging about this with me? Surely with today's focus on inquiry learning students can bring their planning, collaboration, critical reflection and problem solving skills to Technology. They do not, why not?

      Delete
    3. You are welcome Carolyn! Getting comments is so exciting, and finding those connections make it all worthwhile. I'd say the same rule applies in Twitter.

      I'm sure you'll find some good connections also within your Mind Lab cohort. You could post that same discussion starter to G+ too? And it would even make a good Teacher Inquiry/Lit Review topic! I'm sure there are many TML students out there that would be happy to collaborate with you.

      Delete
    4. I have received a few responses but not as many as some other people have. I tried to change the format so it was a bit more readable ie putting in pictures and smaller sections of paragraphing. However, I think that it's actually more the fact that I don't leave room for discussion. Next time I think that I need to ask questions or allow readers to reflect on an interesting theory/comment/quote so they feel like they want to answer them or add their own perspective on something.

      Delete
  2. oohhhh I love that comment 'be the change you wish to see in others'. I am guilty of not responding to comments that are left on my blog. Definitely got the scratch your back if you scratch mine going on though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers for scratching my back Sarah ;) I have also been slack in conuntercommenting at times. But responding to the comments we get is a great opportunity to show that we care and value what other people think. I think it is also an awesome opportunity to build relationships and showcase how we are willing to learn more, together!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Milla, so does this mean we do not have to create a Turitin report for the blogs? Also do we upload three different PDF's for the three weeks worth of blogs then a separate word/pdf document with the screenshots of our interactions for part B? thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian, the assessment page in the portal gives you the best descriptions relating to your intake's submission requirements. (For your intake Turnitin is not required and you can choose freely the online interactions format. Those can be pictures, separate documents or you can combine them all into one.)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing you tips this is new to me and as a reliever on school holidays this is my only CoP group The Mind Lab

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Milla,
    I appreciate your (provocative)suggestion to involve in online CoP. As a novice, with growing literature and vast reservoir of resources, views I am learning into the art of expressing views. I hope individual views are not (mis)taken or mislead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Milla always love your posts as they come from a place of passion, practicality and realness to the feasibility. The purpose is first always to us, but how we gain best traction and further reflection is with the conversations and thoughts of others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thankyou for this Milla; I am not much of a blogger but I am looking forward to learning more about blogging. Thank you for all these helpful tips. Much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tena koe Milla.Nga mihi o te Matariki ki a koe. I have been afraid to start posting on my blog that I created in April. I appreciate the tips with which I receive as a form of encouragement.:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you. Your posts and tips have been very helpful. I am new to blogging, and must admit to feeling a bit out of my comfort zone at the moment. However, I am keen to learn more and hope that I will become a successful blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks! private blog network posts service

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved your suggestion to write in a way that provokes discussion. Its all about taking an initiative to participate and comment and if the person who started the blog has a thought provoking start, everyone makes an effort to leave a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's really a great and helpful piece of info. I'm glad that you just shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Interesting and helpful blogging tips for beginners like me. Thanks Milla.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Blogging can be a vibrant experience, but the absence of comments doesn't always reflect engagement. Encourage interaction by posing questions, inviting opinions, and creating a community feel. For expert interior fit-out services in Dubai, trust the excellence of top interior fit-out companies.

    ReplyDelete